1930 Glenwood Ave_Front Exterior_1028202

Our History

     The City of Lakes Community Land Trust (CLCLT) is the result of a collective, committed effort by Minneapolis residents and neighborhood associations to preserve affordable housing ownership in their community.

     In late 2001, a collaboration of Powderhorn Residents Group (PRG), Seward Redesign, Powderhorn Park Neighborhood Association and the Lyndale Neighborhood Development Corporation (LNDC) began educating themselves on best practices relating to creating and stabilizing affordability in their neighborhoods.

     Housed and incubated initially by PRG, the collaboration incorporated as the City of Lakes Community Land Trust in August 2002 and acquired its 501(c)(3) status in August 2003.

     The CLCLT hired its first staff person in October 2002. In 2008, the CLCLT served as the fiscal and programmatic sponsor of the Twin Cities Agricultural Land Trust until it spun off to become its own entity. 

     The CLCLT merged with Neighborhood Housing Services of Minneapolis (NHSM) in 2015 and now stewards an additional $2 million in community loan funds.

     In 2016, the CLCLT formed a Real Estate LLC with Realtor/Broker Osborne Strickland to facilitate an increasing number of CLCLT developments and homeowner resales.

     In 2019, the CLCLT added the Minneapolis Commercial Land Trust Initiative program to its work. Current CLCLT staff consists of 7 full-time employees.

     To date, the CLCLT has assisted 400+ low- and moderate-income households into CLCLT homeownership. There have now been 90+ CLCLT resales – each resulting in leveraging the initial affordability investment over time – serving multiple generations of homebuyers with the same funds.